facebook twitter linkedin youtube

Free Consultation 847-662-3303

Global English
Spanish Español
Polish Polski
French Français
Italian Italiano
Korean 한국어

Am I Entitled to Compensation for Scars or Disfigurement Caused in an Accident?

 Posted on December 29, 2020 in Personal Injury Lawsuits

IL injury lawyerBeing seriously injured in a slip and fall accident, car accident, fire, or another type of accident can lead to painful, debilitating injuries. Even if these injuries heal, the accident victim may be left with disfiguring scars for the rest of his or her life. If you or a loved one were recently involved in an accident that led to disfiguring injuries, you may have questions about your legal options. If your accident was caused by another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to financial compensation for scarring and disfigurement.

Accidents That Lead to Disfigurement

There are many different types of accidents that can lead to disfiguring injuries. A serious car accident, truck accident, or motorcycle accident can lead to deep lacerations that leave lasting scars. Cuts to the face, arms, and hands are especially common in car accidents. Fires, explosions, fireworks accidents, workplace accidents, exposure to toxic chemicals, and electrical accidents may cause burn injuries that lead to lasting scars. Amputation of a limb may result from a construction accident or another incident in which body parts are crushed or severed. Disfigurement can have a dramatic impact on a person’s ability to work, perform daily living tasks, and enjoy life.

The Role of Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim Involving Disfigurement

A personal injury claim is a legal claim that is used to pursue compensation for injuries caused by another party’s negligence or wrongdoing. To recover compensation for disfigurement after an accident, you and your attorney will need to show that the defendant acted negligently or broke the law and that this negligence or wrongdoing led to your injuries. Negligence is typically defined as the failure to exercise a level of care and concern a reasonable person would have exercised in a similar situation.

The party liable for your injuries may be a person such as a drunk driver or negligent property owner or it may be an organization such as a manufacturing company or trucking company. In addition to compensation for disfigurement, you may be entitled to compensation for damages such as medical bills, lost income from missed work, and certain out-of-pocket expenses related to your injury. If the disfigurement reduces your ability to do your job, you may also be entitled to compensation for your impaired earning capacity. Although these damages are not financial in nature, you may also be awarded financial compensation for the emotional distress caused by your injuries and disfigurement.

Contact a Lake County Personal Injury Lawyer

Burns, lacerations, dismemberment, and other injuries can lead to permanent disfigurement. If you or a loved one suffered a disfiguring injury contact a Waukegan personal injury attorney to talk about your legal options. Call 847-662-3303 and set up your free consultation today.




Share this post:

Contact a Lake County Vehicle Accident Attorney Who is Ready to Help You

If you or a member of your family has been injured in a motor vehicle accident, contact our office. Call 847-662-3303 to set up a free initial consultation at one of our four convenient locations. There is no risk because we only collect fees if you collect compensation. With offices in Libertyville, Waukegan, Richmond, and Chicago, we represent clients in Lake County, Cook County, DuPage County, and McHenry County.

Back to Top