facebook twitter linkedin youtube

Free Consultation 847-662-3303

Global English
Spanish Español
Polish Polski
French Français
Italian Italiano
Korean 한국어

What a Cyclist Should Do After a Rear-End Collision

 Posted on January 30, 2024 in Bicycle Accidents

IL accident lawyerBike riding is a great stress reliever and a terrific way to stay in shape. However, there are great risks to cyclists while out on the road that could have dire consequences. Rear-end collisions from automobiles are a very real threat to any cyclist, whether driving safely or not. When suffering a bicycle accident, it is normal for a cyclist to feel panic, shock, and disorientation depending on the severity of the impact. Anyone who receives injuries due to a rear-end collision should seek out an attorney to ensure they receive compensation for damages.

Injuries From a Rear-End Collision

Injuries after being rear-ended on your bike can be similar to those sustained from a car-to-car collision. The only real difference is the impact and severity that a cyclist is elevated due to the lack of protection one is afforded in a motor vehicle. The possibility for injury is amplified since, more often than not, the only protection a cyclist has is their helmet.

When rear-ended, a cyclist could be looking at some of the following injuries:

  • Whiplash
  • Broken bones and fractures
  • Bruises, bleeds, and lacerations
  • Disfigurement
  • Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
  • Amputations
  • Internal bleeding
  • Herniated disc
  • Death

The impact of a rear-end collision will likely cause your body to jerk forward while the head is thrown backward, sometimes violently, which can result in devastating to catastrophic injuries. Whereas in a car-to-car collision, there is a likelihood of hitting the steering wheel, dashboard, or window, a cyclist only has the hard pavement to look forward to increasing the chance for serious injury that may require immediate medical attention.

Your Immediate Response to a Rear-End Collision

The first thing a cyclist should do after suffering a rear-end collision is to check themselves for injuries if possible. Look for scratches, cuts, bruises, bulges, and where the pain, if any, is coming from. Getting hit can cause a spike in your adrenaline, and you may not notice any pain right away. For this reason, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible by visiting the local hospital.

Even if there are no noticeable injuries, you should get the insurance and personal information from the driver that hit you. You should also involve the police as their incident report is invaluable to any compensation claims you may have later on. Gathering information from any eyewitnesses could also go a long way in proving negligence on the part of the driver for any injuries sustained that led to damages. Of course, an experienced attorney well-versed in personal injury cases can also obtain all of the relevant information necessary to prove your case in court.

Contact a Lake County, IL Personal Injury Attorney

It is never a good idea to handle your compensation suits through insurance companies, especially not alone, as they will often attempt to lowball the payment amounts. Instead, get yourself a Waukegan, IL bicycle accident lawyer who will go to bat for you and your claim. The office of Salvi & Maher, LLP has more than enough experience handling cases like these and can be the missing piece you need to get the compensation you deserve. For a free consultation concerning your injury case, contact our firm at 847-662-3303 today.

Share this post:

Contact a Lake County Vehicle Accident Attorney Who is Ready to Help You

If you or a member of your family has been injured in a motor vehicle accident, contact our office. Call 847-662-3303 to set up a free initial consultation at one of our four convenient locations. There is no risk because we only collect fees if you collect compensation. With offices in Libertyville, Waukegan, Richmond, and Chicago, we represent clients in Lake County, Cook County, DuPage County, and McHenry County.

Back to Top