facebook twitter linkedin youtube

Free Consultation 847-662-3303

Global English
Spanish Español
Polish Polski
French Français
Italian Italiano
Korean 한국어

What if I Cannot Return to My Job After Being Injured in a Car Accident?

 Posted on October 13, 2022 in Car Accidents

IL accident lawyerCar accidents have the potential to alter the way a person lives for the rest of their life. Not all injuries will heal, even with extensive treatment. Some injuries will cause long-lasting or permanent harm. Many people who have suffered a severe injury in a car accident have serious concerns about whether they will be able to return to work, and if not, how they will support themselves or their families. If you have suffered a permanent or chronic injury as a result of a car accident caused by another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation that could cover your lost future income. Claiming these types of damages can be difficult, as the other party will likely resist paying this type of award, which could be of significant financial value. If you have been forced to change careers or stop working due to car accident injuries, you will likely need to work with an attorney to recover the amount of compensation you need to make up for your lost ability to work.

Compensation for Lost Future Income

If you are not yet certain whether your injuries will heal and allow you to return to the workplace, you may be experiencing a high level of stress at the uncertainty. You should know that you may be able to recover compensation for the full amount of income you have lost already and will lose in the future. There are generally two types of claims pertaining to lost future income - those where the plaintiff is still able to work, but must accept a lower-paid line of work, and those where the plaintiff is totally disabled and unlikely to be able to work again in their lifetime.

If you are totally disabled and unable to work in any capacity, then you may be entitled to compensation for the total amount you would have earned throughout the duration of your career had the accident not occurred. Your attorney will need to show evidence demonstrating that you can no longer work in any capacity. The types of proof needed will vary depending on your current career path and other factors.

If you are only partially disabled and can still work in some capacity, then the compensation you may be entitled to could equal the difference between what you would have earned in your lifetime before the accident and the amount you are likely to earn after the accident. For example, a skilled laborer who loses the use of a hand and must accept a position as an unskilled retail worker could recover the difference in pay between the two jobs.

Even so, finding a new career that conforms to your new level of ability can be challenging. Your new line of work may be entirely different, and it may take time to find a position. Career changes due to injuries can be difficult and create personal and economic setbacks.

Contact a Lake County Car Accident Lawyer

Salvi & Maher, LLP is committed to helping car accident victims recover the compensation they need. Our experienced Waukegan car accident attorneys will strive to win you the highest possible award or settlement for your loss of income. Call 847-662-3303 for a free consultation.




Share this post:

Contact a Lake County Vehicle Accident Attorney Who is Ready to Help You

If you or a member of your family has been injured in a motor vehicle accident, contact our office. Call 847-662-3303 to set up a free initial consultation at one of our four convenient locations. There is no risk because we only collect fees if you collect compensation. With offices in Libertyville, Waukegan, Richmond, and Chicago, we represent clients in Lake County, Cook County, DuPage County, and McHenry County.

Back to Top