facebook twitter linkedin youtube

Free Consultation 847-662-3303

Global English
Spanish Español
Polish Polski
French Français
Italian Italiano
Korean 한국어

How Much Compensation Can I Get if a Drunk Driver Hit Me? 

 Posted on February 08, 2023 in Drunk Driving Accidents

Lake County Personal Injury LawyerDrunk driving continues to be a major problem in the Waukegan area and throughout Illinois, leading to thousands of injuries and deaths every year. Although it is against the law, drivers still get behind the wheel when they are too impaired to drive safely.

Many DUI offenders are arrested by police and subject to criminal penalties. However, even if a DUI offender is caught and formally charged, this does not address the harm they have caused to the victims of their reckless behavior.

If you have been injured by a drunk driver, you may be entitled to compensation from the at-fault driver or even from the establishment that sold them alcohol. The amount of damages you are eligible for depends on several factors, including the severity of your injuries, the economic losses you have incurred due to medical bills and lost wages, and the effect your injuries had on your life.

Compensation for Past and Future Medical Bills

You may be eligible for compensation for your past and future medical expenses resulting from the drunk driving crash. This includes hospital visits, surgeries, physical therapy, mental health care, medications, and other treatments related to the crash. Additionally, if you’ve already paid out-of-pocket expenses as a result of your injury, these can be recovered as damages. If your injuries required you to use a wheelchair or other assistive device, you may be able to recover compensation for the device as well as any home modifications needed to accommodate your disability.

Reimbursement for Lost Wages

If you had to miss work because of your injuries, you might be eligible to receive compensation for lost wages. This includes the wages and benefits you would have received had it not been for your injury, including bonuses, commissions, and other forms of income.

Diminished Earning Capacity Caused by Impaired Functioning

You may be able to receive compensation for the effect your injuries have had on your ability to work and earn a living. This type of damage is called diminished earning capacity or loss of future earning power.

Pain and Suffering Damages

You may be eligible to receive compensation for pain and suffering caused by the drunk driver’s negligence. This includes any physical pain, mental anguish, emotional distress, disfigurement, or disability resulting from the accident.

Property Damage

If your car or other property was damaged in the crash, you may be able to receive compensation for the cost of repairing or replacing it.

Punitive Damages

While rare, the state of Illinois does allow for the recovery of punitive damages in some cases. Punitive damages are meant to punish the wrongdoer and deter criminal or grossly negligent behavior.

Contact Our Waukegan Car Accident Injury Lawyer

If you or a loved one were injured in a crash caused by a drunk or drugged driver, contact Salvi & Maher, LLP to discuss your legal options. You may be able to get compensation for your financial and non-financial damages. Call our Lake County personal injury attorneys at 847-662-3303 and set up a free case assessment to get started.




Share this post:

Contact a Lake County Vehicle Accident Attorney Who is Ready to Help You

If you or a member of your family has been injured in a motor vehicle accident, contact our office. Call 847-662-3303 to set up a free initial consultation at one of our four convenient locations. There is no risk because we only collect fees if you collect compensation. With offices in Libertyville, Waukegan, Richmond, and Chicago, we represent clients in Lake County, Cook County, DuPage County, and McHenry County.

Back to Top